TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - Myth or Fact? 300zx TT lore...
People Seeking Info

Subject Myth or Fact? 300zx TT lore...

Posted by MightyAA on November 11, 2016 at 10:42 AM
  This message has been viewed 848 times.

Message My Dad is a Z nut and I “inherited” his company car in ’94 (it is a ’90 300zx TT). Very low vin (#417 off the line) and he picked it up in October of ’89. He’s told me some things over the years and I’ve wondered if they are true or not.

1. He claimed he got the automatic because with the 1990 at least, there was no transmission warranty on the stick. You could only get the warranty with the automatic. True?

2. There is a design defect with the 1990 that did cause an overheat. Something about how the radiator was setup that caused a 'vacuum' and sucked up debris on the road eventually plugging the airway. Overheating occurred. No recall, but they regularly used metallic tape to seal it up when you brought it in for servicing. I think, but don't hold me to this, there was a gap between two radiators and open corners... maybe a automatic transmission cooler? True?

3. Oddball along these lines. The overheat seized the engine. Nissan, when they released the 300zxTT lagged behind on service training. Basically, no one in the United States had training yet or knew how to fix it or much about them and they had to fly a service tech out of Japan to look at his, figure out what went wrong, replace the short block, etc. and that took a couple months. And they did solve the road vacuum problem.

4. The seat belt is attached to the door to get around airbags. Back in its day, you could have airbags or a automatic seat belt. So, with it attached to the door, you can leave it clicked in and enter and exit the vehicle. True? (I do know you could do this)

5. Automatics came with a hotter cam and tune. He claims Nissan did this to close the 0-60 gap between the stick and the automatic. True?

Just curious.....

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.